Welcome to Air Force Angels! Please Login or Register! If you are not a member we'd love to have you. Air Force Angels is a great forum for those great Air Force girlfriends, finances, and wives out there looking for some great support from other girls and for some wonderful life long friends.

Please, if you're new and would like to register no last names are to be used in your username or anywhere in the forum other then pms. Thank you!

HomeSearchAirforce leaders RegisterLog in

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Facebook Fan Page!
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 37 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:11 pm
Top posters
AirmansGirl2010

kristen

LovinMyFlyBoy

Jenn

Airmankisses

scgrits488

Chrissy

AFA1015

Maegan2010

meggie007

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» my husband is air traffic control
Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:12 am by Jaymee

» AFA IS CLOSING IT'S DOORS FOR GOOD
Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:27 am by Jaymee

» Letting all branches Join?
Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:31 pm by scgrits488

» Possible New Names for AFA ??
Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:27 pm by scgrits488

» sad sick baby boy
Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:49 am by Jaymee

» April
Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:02 am by Jenn

» Eeek!
Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:25 pm by LovinMyFlyBoy

» Wives Orientation
Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:24 pm by LovinMyFlyBoy

» Couldn't be happier.
Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:24 pm by LovinMyFlyBoy

Most active topics
The Lady below me!
QOTD
Free Siggy Offer!
Never Have I Ever
Adopt a US Soldier
Be Thankful!
Single...
"The Pill"
Skype Group Chat?
He's been cheating
Donate
Military Resources
Military OneSource is a free service provided by the Department of Defense to service members and their families to help with a broad range of concerns including money management, spouse employment and education, parenting and child care, relocation, deployment, reunion, and the particular concerns of families with special-needs members. They can also include more complex issues like relationships, stress, and grief. Services are available 24 hours a day — by telephone with professionally trained consultants and online. Many Military OneSource staff members have military experience (veterans, spouses, Guardsmen, Reservists), and all receive ongoing training on military matters and military lifestyle. The program can be especially helpful to service members and their families who live at a distance from installations.

Share | 

Tech school survival guide!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chrissy
E7 Master Sergeant
E7 Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Tech school survival guide!   Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:18 am

I've been meaning to do this for a while, I just could never find the time to!
Nick has been a Sheppard AFB in Texas for nearly 2 months now, so I know a few things.
Any other ladies, feel free to add stuff!

Okay.

1. So the next step after BMT graduation is tech school! My Airman left early in the morning on the Monday following graduation. His TI did not allow him to use his cell phone Sunday night, but he was allowed to call me all day while he was traveling.
The time when your Airman will leave Lackland for tech school (unless he is staying there for school) will depend on exactly where he is going.

2. When Nick finally got to Sheppard AFB, he was told to turn off his cell phone and he had to sit through what he calls "Death By Powerpoint" alll day. So on his first day, I only got to talk to him for about 10 minutes because he was exhausted.

3. Your Airman will NOT be allowed to have a cell phone with him while he is in uniform.

4. Tech school has diffrent phases. If your Airman is just getting to his tech school, he will be put in phase 1.

The phases work like this:
(But keep in mind, this is how it was for MY Airman. I'm not saying that it's going to be the same at every tech school. Because just like the TI's in BMT, every tech school has diffrent rules and regulations. Again, these are the rules NICK has at SHEPPARD. They can be diffrent at other tech schools)

Phase 1: Airmen MUST be in uniform AT ALL TIMES when they are outside their dorm building. Airmen have a curfew of 10 PM on weekday AND weekends. Airmen may not leave base during phase 1.

Phase 2: Airmen can only wear civilian clothing AFTER school hours (which is around 5:00 PM on days that Nick doesn't have PT) and on weekends on base ONLY. Airmen will be allowed to go off base, but they MUST wear their blues when going off base. They will also have a curfew, but I'm not sure what it is for Phase 2.

Phase 3: Airmen have a later curfew, and are allowed to wear civilian clothing on and off base after school.

5. CQ Duty - your Airman will get this if he does something to get in trouble. Nick has already had it twice; once for being late and another time because he failed a dorm expection. During CQ Duty, they have to sit at the entrance to the dorm building and check everyones ID's and they just make sure everyone is doing what they are supposed to be doing. One time, Nick had to do it from 2 AM to 11 AM. He said it's pretty boring.

6. Holidays - Airman will have certain holidays off. I've heard from someone that they even get 4th of July off. But keep in mind, just because the tech school says your Airman has that day off, it doesn't exactly mean they can come home. Sometimes, the tech school will put a limit on just how far the Airman can go from base. Plus, your Airman will have to have enough leave saved up to go home.

FOR EXAMPLE:
Nick has 4 days off for Thanksgiving. He is allowed to come home if he wanted to, but he has a whole week and a half off for Christmas. If he used his leave for Thanksgiving, he would only be allowed to come home for Christmas for a week.
So we decided it was best if he just waited until Christmas so he can stay longer.
AGAIN, keep in mind, this CAN change with other tech schools.

7. Nick told me that if I went to Sheppard to visit him, he would not be allowed to stay at a hotel with me over the weekend. He actually still has a curfew on weekends, even though he's in phase 3, and HAS to be back in his dorm each day by a certain time Friday-Sunday.

8. There will be times that your Airman may not get to talk to you much at all because he will have lots of tests and homework to do. Keep in mind: It is VERY VERY important that he passes these tests! If he fails too many, he could get phased back, or washed back, meaning he will be sent back to a earlier class. This would push back his graduation date for tech school too. Nick told me that if he fails too many, he could be kicked out of the Air Force.
If you have to, MAKE your Airman go study. It's really important!

9. Tech school can be very stressful for your Airman. There is going to be times where he seems a little aggravated and annoyed, but keep in mind that he's in a new place and he has all this pressure on him to pass his classes and he hasn't been home in months.
I'd be stressing out too.

10. Your Airman will be allowed to talk to you as much as he wants now! As long as he's not in uniform! And you can send care packages!
Much better than BMT!

If you got thru BMT, you can do tech school. Just try to have great communication with your Airman, and be honest with each other. If your Airman is too busy with his studies, don't feel to bad about it. Encourage him and make sure you let him know that you support him 100 percent!
Back to top Go down
Chrissy
E7 Master Sergeant
E7 Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:36 am

I could add more, but I'm really tired. I have a busy day tomorrow because I have to make sure the house is super clean and I need to start cooking for Thanksgiving.
Back to top Go down
Airmankisses
E8 Senior Master Sergeant
E8 Senior Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:07 am

Good Post Thank you Chrissy!!!

Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=711449713
Maegan2010
E6 Technical Sergeant
E6 Technical Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:29 pm

This actually explains the phases better

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforcejoin/a/techschoolrest.htm

Back to top Go down
Chrissy
E7 Master Sergeant
E7 Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:38 pm

Maegan2010 wrote:
This actually explains the phases better

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforcejoin/a/techschoolrest.htm
Thanks!
I didn't know how to exactly explain them!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:15 pm

I don't know much about tech school to be honest but I'll share what I do know haha

Nick is at Goodfellow AFB, TX.

When they first leave BMT give them time to settle in and figure out what they can and can't do, I was annoyed at first cause I thought he'd have full computer and phone access right away. And he had "Death by Briefing" for a week or something. If I remember right he couldn't talk a whole lot at first during Tech School, just give it time for him to get used to the flow of it and you will too.

What Chrissy said about CQ Duty, I think Nick had that but not for getting in trouble.
He said that they all have to do it at least once, I'm not sure if it's the same thing Chrissy's Nick did but my Nick just said he sat at a front desk for 8 hours and it was really boring.

And the tests, they ARE suuuuuuper important, from what Nick has told me, if he gets less than 80% on like, 5 texts I think, he gets kicked out. He's been doing well though and doesn't seem like he's studying a LOT but I don't know haha when we talk he doesn't really explain what the tests or classes are on in depth.

Nick also told me he only has TWO phases total, he just entered the second one this week after being there just over a month. So now he can wear civilian clothes and walk around with his phone. But yeah, all tech schools are not the same, he's a Fire Protection tech school and I think "Intell" is there too because he talks about them.

From what I can tell, he's done with classes around 3pm his time (1pm mine) and then has PT until about 5pm his time (3pm my time).
He wakes up around 4am every weekday.

They live in dorms that look to me like college dorms on the inside, apartment style because I think they have a little kitchen. It's not a bad setup! Normally they have only one roommate but Nick has two. It looks like a nice place but they had to pay for their own internet and he gets HORRIBLE phone reception! Ugh.

I honestly thought tech school was going to be so easy for the Airmen compared to BMT but I know it's been hard. They're in class for SO long and still have to do PT. It's still like a solid 12 hours of doing stuff. I've been asking Nick to open up to me because I know he's been really stressed and sad sometimes and he carries it all inside. But yeah, I don't really know a lot about tech school cause Nick never has much to say besides it's boring.

But it's a hell of a lot better than BMT!!!

Back to top Go down
AirmansGirl2010
E9 Chief Master Sergeant
E9 Chief Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:37 pm

likeomgcool wrote:
But it's a hell of a lot better than BMT!!!

This makes me so freaking happy to hear!

Caitlin & Tyler

Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?filter=lf#!/cjwallis2010
Maegan2010
E6 Technical Sergeant
E6 Technical Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:50 pm

Well this is my experience (year & half ago)

Don't be shocked if your Airman is on lockdown ever because of some dummy thinking it's cool to underage drink. I know plenty of people who couldn't leave base and had to stay in dorms. I can't explain how many times this happened to Jake.

When your Airman gets his first base, don't start searching apartments to live near him. NOTHING is 100% until he actually leaves the base to come home (or leaves to go to his duty station). I had a friend coming here to Minot then a few days before graduation they decided to change her husbands orders to South Dakota. So don't get your hopes up.

Dream list, are DREAM list. Not your going to get these 8 bases for sure. So don't be surprised if he doesn't get the base super close to you.

Don't be pissed if he's super stressed out, tech school is exhausting and the poor guys are always studying constantly.

There is a POSSIBILITY of having to stay after graduation, a few of the guys here didn't have their security clearances or some sort done so they had to stay at the base. They just get stuck do whatever around base.

If you go visit them, make sure they follow the phase rules and are back at curfew. You can cost him to be phased back or placed on lockdown. It stinks.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:27 am

im so glad im on here reading these post, i thought tech school was gonna be cake for us because we would be able to talk all the time...boy was i wrong. we are going strong and Logans school is only 6 weeks but it feels like i hear from him less then when he was in boot...ive gotten back into my routine at home and it is getting easier, he left the 1st and today is just now his first day of school, he has had CQ the entire time...so i will encourage him to study and told him last night that now that school as started i will just write to him and let him call when he can. does ne one know when they find out there duty stations? tnks gals Love
Back to top Go down
AFA1015
E7 Master Sergeant
E7 Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:25 pm

Good Post
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1525758992
Chrissy
E7 Master Sergeant
E7 Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:57 pm

carly wrote:
im so glad im on here reading these post, i thought tech school was gonna be cake for us because we would be able to talk all the time...boy was i wrong. we are going strong and Logans school is only 6 weeks but it feels like i hear from him less then when he was in boot...ive gotten back into my routine at home and it is getting easier, he left the 1st and today is just now his first day of school, he has had CQ the entire time...so i will encourage him to study and told him last night that now that school as started i will just write to him and let him call when he can. does ne one know when they find out there duty stations? tnks gals Love
I'm sure he is still tring to settle in. Once he gets in a new routine of school, you will be able to talk to him more. I know when Nick first got to tech school, it was all a little confusing for him. Every single minute of his life was planned at BMT, from what time he went to bed, to what time he could write a letter. When he got to tech school, he was so confused because he didn't know what to do when he wasn't at school. I told him that he was supposed to go play video games, watch a movie, or go do something fun. It took a few weeks for him the grasp that, haha.
As for the duty station, I think it depends on WHERE they are going to tech school and WHAT they are going for. Nick is at Sheppard to be a medic, and they all find out after about a month.
I've heard of people at other schools that don't find out until they graduate tech, so I think it all just depends.
Back to top Go down
Brittany Victoria
E5 Staff Sergeant
E5 Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:51 pm

I already dislike tech school...lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:11 am

we are finally adjusting, im about to send out a care package for him...just cant wait till march when he is home for a bit and we can figure it all out, does ne one know when they should find out where their duty station is?
Back to top Go down
Chrissy
E7 Master Sergeant
E7 Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:33 am

Brittany Victoria wrote:
I already dislike tech school...lol
I love it, lol!
Back to top Go down
AFA1015
E7 Master Sergeant
E7 Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:13 am

He should find out I think Phase 2. I can't really remember! But it won't be long.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1525758992

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:26 pm

carly wrote:
we are finally adjusting, im about to send out a care package for him...just cant wait till march when he is home for a bit and we can figure it all out, does ne one know when they should find out where their duty station is?

Nick found out pretty quickly, I think Phase 2 like Gen said
Back to top Go down
Chrissy
E7 Master Sergeant
E7 Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:56 pm

likeomgcool wrote:
carly wrote:

Nick found out pretty quickly, I think Phase 2 like Gen said
I agree
I think it was after Nick had been there for a month and a half, so phase 2!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:57 am

Logan is in advanced phase, so not sure if that is phase 2...he told me tonight id be the first one he calls when he finds out his duty station, best advice ive taken from you gals is that i must not worry or psyc myself out until we actually know where he will be stationed, he did pick bases around Washington but like y'all said, it is just a dream sheet...lol, im just keeping my fingers crossed. he is in fuels so im assuming that he will be needed on any base...i just hope it all works out
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:24 am

carly wrote:
Logan is in advanced phase, so not sure if that is phase 2...he told me tonight id be the first one he calls when he finds out his duty station, best advice ive taken from you gals is that i must not worry or psyc myself out until we actually know where he will be stationed, he did pick bases around Washington but like y'all said, it is just a dream sheet...lol, im just keeping my fingers crossed. he is in fuels so im assuming that he will be needed on any base...i just hope it all works out

OHH yeah you're from WA!!!
I am too!
Nick offered guys who got McChord or Fairchild $1,000 to trade him bases and they refused :/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:46 am

wow! Logan picked both those bases...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:54 am

carly wrote:
wow! Logan picked both those bases...

I hope he gets them!
Nick put them as his number 1 and 2 i think. He got montana, it was on his list so not too bad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:38 am

oooh logan put montana too, i could handle montana...lol are you moving with him?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:35 pm

carly wrote:
oooh logan put montana too, i could handle montana...lol are you moving with him?

yeah in June! :D i am SO excited!
If you got it we could be buddies!
I've talked to a few people who are there/have been there and i've heard good things
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:58 am

oh thats so cool, im keeping my fingers crossed for a base close... hey ladies who has facebook? lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:36 am

carly wrote:
oh thats so cool, im keeping my fingers crossed for a base close... hey ladies who has facebook? lol

All of us! :)
http://www.airforceangels.com/t134-facebook
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tech school survival guide!   

Back to top Go down

Tech school survival guide!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: AirForce Life :: BMT & Tech School-
Jump to: